17 January 2015

New Poem ~ My Daddy Wanted Me Out!



My Daddy wanted me
                                out of that
school
                Wanted me OUT
                Said the other boys
                                                Stole my
lunch money
                Wanted me OUT
                told my teachers I was
                                Bullied

                Wanted me OUT
                wanted me to go
                                to some NICER school
                                in another direction
                                                I didn’t know
               
Wanted me out
                told me if I wanted to play
                                With THAT kind
                I could
                   move into the Projects
                   and be like they be.

My Daddy wanted me out
                of that place
                told them my
grades suffered
                told them the other boys
                                stole my
                                Lunch money.

Wanted me OUT.

I would walk there sometimes
                Three miles
                                If the bus was
Running LATE
                                Or the drivers were on strike.

My Daddy wanted me out
                when Woolworth’s
                got picketed
                                after I brought my friend home
                after school

 
Wanted me to go to that
NICER school
that
White school
in the other direction
                from where we lived
                                And which I didn’t know              

My Daddy wanted me out
                Said I was bullied
                Said the other boys
                                stole my
                                Lunch money
Said I didn’t understand
                What it was like
                To get beat up by
                                a Colored
                He was right about that

For the welts and belt bruises
                On my back
                On my legs
                On my arms
were put there by him
                they established
Ownership.
        Ya see,
        I was my Daddy’s
 Little white boy slave
                                I suppose.

My daddy didn’t want them
                To connect that
Wanted me out of that BLACK school
Said I didn’t understand
                And if I wanted to
                Play with those kind
                                                I could
                                                live in the Projects
Said the other boys
                Stole my lunch money

But I didn’t want to go.
I was safe there.



My Daddy wanted me
                                OUT
                                of that school
Said I didn’t understand

Yet never saw
That I was safe
                                There.
from some of those same beatings
                that I saw had happened
                to my school mates
                                Ancestors
                Foul, cruel beatings rendered
                All the more real when
                                Meted out by your owner.
                When delivered without
                                Questions
                                The results borne
                                Out
                                In Public
                A mark of pride
                                                For not reacting
                                Made me stronger

You see,
I never was just some
                Ordinary
                Two-toned White boy
I was
                Property
                Poor white trash.

I never got that money stolen
                Since
                I never had enough lunch money
                                To steal
Those beatings didn’t come
                From little black boys
                They were my Daddy’s
                He OWNED me
How was that any different from my friends?


Only once
I almost cried
                When talking to Mrs. James
                My home room teacher
She and I
                We never talked about
                                Daddy wantin’
                To take me out of
                School
She only said
                I was safe there
                At least eight hours
                Out of the day.


NOTE: The poem is a gut reaction to the Ferguson, MO murder of an unarmed youth named Michael Brown by police officer Darrin Wilson. (c) 2014 / Will Brady

               


No comments:

Post a Comment